Shirelive was established in 1949 as a pioneer church plant of the Assemblies of God in Australia under the leadership of Pastor Norm Armstrong who was passionate about seeing a Pentecostal witness established in the Sutherland area. The first meeting was in the Sutherland School of Arts Hall.
In the early 1950s the current property at 7-9 Stapleton Avenue, Sutherland was purchased and constructed.
Over the years, the church has been through several name changes. It was originally founded as Sutherland AOG, then becoming the Christian Growth Centre until 2000 when it was renamed Shire Christian Centre. At this time the church moved from an unincorporated body to a company limited by guarantee and in May 2006 the church was rebranded as Shirelive.
On the 20th October 2013, Pastors Brad & Alison Bonhomme were appointed as the Senior Pastors of Shirelive.
When the legal entity changed in 2000, from an unincorporated body to a Company limited by guarantee, the Church moved to an Eldership Board governance model where the congregation function as partners in the vision. Day to day operations are managed by in-house staff with the support of a Board of Directors. The church (Shirelive Property Limited) adheres to accepted accounting standards and an independent firm conducts an annual audit. The limited company provides reports to ASIC and the Australian Charities Commission.
Shirelive regularly ministers to well over 2,000 people through it’s weekend services, children’s, youth, young adult and adult programs.